Here’s how to make sure your PDFs are accepted.
Please read the Artwork Checklist tab for general requirements. The information below will assist if you aren’t sure about how to save PDF files from your program.
We require one PDF file only. Double sided products will require two pages within that one file. For folded A3 brochures, please supply as 4 x A4 pages (we will impose them for you).
Adobe Creative Suite (eg Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
• We recommend you use Indesign to create your PDF (and not Photoshop)
• Compression – change to 300 pixels per inch, both colour and greyscale, then 2400 for monochrome.
• Marks & Bleeds – Tick crop/trim marks, page information and add a 5mm bleed all around
• Output – Convert to destination, use ‘Coated FOGRA39’ profile inclusion: Include destination profile.
Microsoft Office Suite (eg Word, publisher)
• Newer versions of WORD will have a PDF tab across the top. Click this and when you are giving the file a name, choose ‘Highest Quality/Commercial Printing’ from the Optimise tab on the right. Ensure you also tick to embed the fonts here.
• Those with Acrobat will have the option to ‘Change conversion settings’ under the Adobe PDF tab.
• In advance settings, change the images to 300 pixels per inch both colour and greyscale, then 2400 for monochrome. Fonts – embed all fonts. Colour management policies – convert all colours to CMYK. Working spaces – Europe ISO coated FOGRA27. You can then save the profile (suggested name would be ‘PDF2Print Profile’) and it will be available in your dropdown next time.
• If you don’t have the option to save as a PDF, the following free program may help:
Preflight will fix/accept:
• RGB images (will convert to CMYK but the colour may change slightly to what you are expecting).
• Compresses uncompressed images.
• Will warn you about images with resolution less than 200 pixels per inch (but will allow if necessary).
• Black text will be set to overprint if less than 12pt font.
• All white text will be set to knockout (not overprint).
Preflight will fail:
• If page size differs to the product you are choosing (border allowance of 15mm for marks etc).
• Fonts which are not embedded.
• A file with ‘spot’ colours.
• If you have more pages than your product request (ie two page file for a single sided flyer)